Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Ed Greshko wrote:

Fedora ships buggy kernels. As stated previously this is more
upstream's fault,

Beg your pardon, but just because someone writes broken code that _does not_ force a distribution to ship it.

Of course it does not force a distro to ship it...but if the distro expects that it will be handed "good code" and ships on that basis then.....

Sorry, what is your point?

Fedora ships stuff with little or no testing. More realistically, fedora users _do_ the testing of new kernel development. Personally, I think every linux distro should have refused to ship 2.6 until a new development branch was started. 2.2 and 2.4 became fairly stable at around their x.x.20 releases because the experimental work was done in an odd numbered development branch. I don't foresee 2.6 ever stabilizing the way it is currently handled and it is entirely up to the distros to sort out what is usable. This is good for the for-pay enterprise distributions, of course, since it makes the others less useful for anything where dependability matters.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx