Re: wireless lan problem

Osama Mahdi wrote:

> When I activate my wireless lan using:
>
> ifup wlan0 i got the following error:
>
> Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such file or directory.
>
> and when I tried to change the Mod or the Encoding I got the following
> error:
>
> #iwconfig wlan0 mode auto
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

I'm no WiFi expert, but if ifup doesn't work
doesn't that mean the device is not up,
in which case iwconfig probably will not apply?

What do "ifconfig wlan0" and "iwconfig wlan0" (run as root) say?

Incidentally, my experience is that "iwconfig <if>" will return
information about the last successful use of <if>,
even if <if> is not currently in action,
as long as the device exists.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366