Re: Package updater

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 7:37 am
Subject: Re: Package updater

2008/3/25  <ramachandranc1@xxxxxxx>:

> When you apply updates,it takes lot of time (may be due my slow internet)
> to resolve the dependencies.
> At the end of the day, you get a message that a prticular software is not
> available.
> 1. (Excuse me for my ignorance) Is it not possible to know which one is not
> available even before you start the operation?

How? Updates to the dependancy database have to be downloaded and the
whole thing has to be analyzed.

> 2. Is it not possible to update the packages which has all the components,
> and leave out the ones which has deficiency of soft ware?

If you use yum, there's a plugin called "skip-broken" which might be
what you want. After installing it, use "yum --skip-broken update".
poc
"skip-broken" is not available.
here is the list:
Usage: yum [options] < grouplist, localinstall, groupinfo, localupdate, resolvedep, erase, deplist, groupremove, makecache, upgrade, provides, shell, install, whatprovides, groupinstall, update, repolist, groupupdate, info, search, check-update, list, remove, clean, grouperase >

Command line error: no such option: --skip-broken
[root@ramachandran ~]# yum --skip-broken update
Usage: yum [options] < grouplist, localinstall, groupinfo, localupdate, resolvedep, erase, deplist, groupremove, makecache, upgrade, provides, shell, install, whatprovides, groupinstall, update, repolist, groupupdate, info, search, check-update, list, remove, clean, grouperase >

-h, --help show this help message and exit
-t, --tolerant be tolerant of errors
-C run entirely from cache, don't update cache
-c [config file] config file location
-R [minutes] maximum command wait time
-d [debug level] debugging output level
-e [error level] error output level
-q, --quiet quiet operation
-v, --verbose verbose operation
-y answer yes for all questions
--version show Yum version and exit
--installroot=[path] set install root
--enablerepo=[repo] enable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
--disablerepo=[repo] disable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
-x [package], --exclude=[package]
exclude package(s) by name or glob
--disableexcludes=[repo]
disable exclude from main, for a repo or for
everything
--obsoletes enable obsoletes processing during updates
--noplugins disable Yum plugins
--nogpgcheck disable gpg signature checking
--disableplugin=[plugin]
disable plugins by name