Package updater

When you apply updates,it takes lot of time (may be due my slow internet) to resolve the dependencies.
At the end of the day, you get a message that a prticular software is not available.
1. (Excuse me for my ignorance) Is it not possible to know which one is not available even before you start the operation?
2. Is it not possible to update the packages which has all the components, and leave out the ones which has deficiency of soft ware?
Ramachandran.