Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Mauriat M wrote:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Valent Turkovic
 <valent.turkovic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/
 >
 >  What is your experience ?

 The general wisdom from fedora power users is:
 - Fedora for the desktop / workstation
 - CentOS for the home server or other unsupported server
 - RedHat for a serious server or otherwise when support is needed

 * by support I mean paid support

 Also, SELinux isn't nearly that hard. I wouldn't put a box on the open
 internet without SELinux.

Well I guess I was hoping for the best of both worlds by having my
desktop "act" as a server.  Why have 2 machines when 1 will do?

Too much to ask, I know.

You can do that, but you have to choose between stability and new features. Server apps have mostly been feature-complete for years so you avoid problems with the older app versions included in Centos. If you are happy with those versions of desktop apps as well (about circa FC6 in fedora terms) then you are all set. If you want newer desktop apps, the way development currently works you have to take a new kernel and associated unstable changes to get them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx