Re: "No sound" but sound

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Why do I get the boot-time message on my Fedora-8 laptop,
"Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (Connection refused)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device",
even though sound seems to be working perfectly well?

Because The Linux Sound System has gone Bonkers !!
There is a problem in  Fedora 8 that causing sound system to fail.
I to have the same problem.
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but I just wanted to let you know you were not alone.