Re: EDAC error

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 10:03 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:

> > Holy Smokes! 2 quad cores? That's 8 cores total(?) and 16 GIGS of Ram??
> > My Gawd, not only am I jealous as all hell, I'm wondering what kinda
> > kernel are you running?? Any sort of stock kernel would roll over and
> > join the Choir Eternal.
>
> Actually fairly normal kernels work just fine on the large boxes, I have ran
> stock FC6 kernels up to 8 cpus/16 cores and up to 64GB of ram with no issues.
>

> > Wouldn't you be running some sort of mini clustering setup?? Setup
> > right, it should really blow serious coal. Your problem might lie in
> > that direction. You might have training wheels on a Dodge Hemi. With a
> > machine like that, I could almost do without eating!
> > <huge drooling grins> Ric
> >

> Clustering setups are only needed when you have more than 1 machine, having lots
> of cpus on a single machine is much easier than clustering as you don't need
> have to worry about the networking, and the memory can be shared easily between
> the cpus.

Huh, I wonder then why he's having problems. In the -OLD- days he'd be
rolling a new kernel. Is the stock kernel multi-cpu aware or does he
need a more specialized kernel, or is it the kernel at all?? That's
where I would be looking, fer sure. God, I want one like he's got.
<scratching strong itch> I always stay a couple of years behind. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar