Re: FC7 to FC8 Upgrade - fc8 needs 8KB ?

Jim Duda wrote:
Jim,

I followed your suggestion and did updates in small chucks. I had to dance around the updating of 'f*'. I have it boiled down to just one more update, that being 'filesystem'. Is this just a coincidence that updating "filesystem" needs 8kb on / filesystem? I don't think this is a disk space issue, as I did many large multi-megabyte updates in various chunks.

Attempting to delete and reinstall filesystem would be ugly as it involves 1000+ packages.

lroom# yum -y check-update

filesystem.i386                          2.4.11-1.fc8           fedora

lroom# yum -y update
Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package filesystem.i386 0:2.4.11-1.fc8 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository Size
Updating:
 filesystem              i386       2.4.11-1.fc8     fedora 118 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       1 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 118 k
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:
installing package filesystem-2.4.11-1.fc8.i386 needs 8KB on the / filesystem

Error Summary

I did an rpm -ql filesystem |less and there were listings way in excess of other packages I queried in the past. So apparently filesystem is actually ensuring the / partition has enough space. I never used ramfs for the initial / filesystem or nfs mounted system partitions.

As the only idea I would have for installing filesystem which is a fairly small package, I would try to install it without all the nfs mounts. Since I am not familiar at all with the system you have and reading your earlier posting which contained all of the volume mounting distributions, it overwhelmed me in its complexity.

This is an interesting problem caused by such a small package. That does not help you out much though in resolution. Somehow / has to be increased by at least 8kb, if emptying /tmp, not mounting volumes or entering single user mode will help is only guesswork.

Jim

--
Serenity through viciousness.