Re: OT? Help to compile program - ac_nonexitent.h

Todd Zullinger wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:
While it compiled after some finger problems and ran okay.  I didn't
fix the vfork warning.  Now to start looking at making rpm's.

Cool.  Post back if you have questions on that part.  If you haven't
got better links, there's a draft on the fedoraproject.org wiki for
building packages:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/BuildingPackagesGuide

I have many building rpm links/howto's to start with but it never hurts to have more from time to time.

In the past I just used CheckInstall but that seems to have dropped off in support.

  http://checkinstall.izto.org/

I can't say I've followed it to learn to package (since it was created
long after I'd struggled to learn to build rpms :), but it does seem
to cover many of the things you'll need to know.

It would be nice to find out a definitive answer on ac_nonexitent.h
though.  Seeing many, many posts on this error with no definitive
answer is an issue.  What list/forum would be a good place to ask?

I looked harder and this is definitely an autoconf test.  The purpose
it to determine whether the preprocessor can detect missing headers.
You can find it in /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/c.m4:

  # OK, works on sane cases.  Now check whether nonexistent headers
  # can be detected and how.
  _AC_PREPROC_IFELSE([AC_LANG_SOURCE([[@%:@include <ac_nonexistent.h>]])],
                     [# Broken: success on invalid input.
continue],
                     [# Passes both tests.
ac_preproc_ok=:

No need to really worry about it.  If it shows up in the configure
output, perhaps that could be fixed in the upstream configure.ac (or
configure.in), but it's not an error that should affect the build
AFAICT.

Now this is nice to know.  I will read some more and learn more.

It has been a fun week so far in learning about the different programming tools. Trying to get my old mind back into C programming that I learned before there was a Netscape or PPP access in our city. Heck, we didn't even have an ISP. :)

I am learning I have a lot more to learn. My AVR project is the highest priority and this is why I want to get a simulator that works. :)

--
Robin Laing