Re: Want postfix with mysql support, courier-imapd, amavisd-new - if possible.

Strong wrote:
Good day all!
Gday!
I'm looking at rawhide.

I have to set up a server that includes the following services:
. apache
Tick
. vsftpd
Tick
. squid+mysql for user authorization
Squid and mysql are both included. I don't know about authentication, I've always protected squid by controlling access to particular (internal) network addresses/
. iptables (as a router for local network)
Tick
I recommend shorewall though. It's included in Fedora and Debian but not (AFAIK) CentOS.

. postfix+antispam
Tick
. mysql
Tick
. postgresql
Tick

My problem/question is this: in FC6 I had to compile myself some
packages in order to make them work as I wanted. So, in order to avoid
it, I'm looking for the following:
. postfix with mysql support,
postfix in f9alpha requires mysql libraries
. courier-imapd
I've heard good reports of Courier, but never used it. I like cyrus imapd which probably does more than you need.
. amavisd-new
Tick

Could You please let me know if they are available in F8? Or may there
is interchangeable packages for the same purposes?

I don't really recommend Fedora for production use, especially on a server. It's too prone to crashing, even without tracking rawhid.

I'm advised to go to debian for those and set up its server. But I
prefer rpm-based distro, basicly - Fedora (or may CentOS for server).
That's why I raise such a question here. Thanks for Your advice!
CentOS is fine for servers and it's what I use when I'm not using Debian. However, CentOS doesn't have as vast an array of software included.

Debian has a vast array of software, and it's all supported for the life of the release. apt-get is about equivalent to yum, and imv is preferable. dpkg is about equivalent to rpm, and I think that's better too. Packaging aside, Debian's not that different from RHL's successors, and certainly more like than SUSE is.

RH expects users to use a GUI to configure stuff, Debian decries such nonsense.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait