Re: Yum is deeply flawed lately. Removes needed kernel modules by mistake

Paul Johnson wrote:
I came to work today and glanced at the yum logs.  When it installs a
I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this, but nobody else is
yelling about it, so I must be the only one.  That makes me think I've
got something configured incorrectly.  I can report in bugzilla, but
won't do that until I'm sure it is not some bonehead mistake I've
made.  At least I'm consistent. It is happening on all the PCs I
administer...
Re the Nvidia drivers, no you're not making any mistake, this is a problem with the livna nvidia packaging, the problem is they update the version numbers and the kernel module barfs when it sees a different version number (I think) so they remove the old module.

I just reverted to doing the nvidia install manually you need to unpack the Nvidia-blah.run using the -x flag, change to that unpacked NVIDIA directory and run nvidia-installer -K to just install a new kernel module.

Having said that the livna packages are certainly easy and a good thing, just not if you have a new kernel with bugs (like the 2.6.24 kernels)

Cheers,
Peter.