Re: What changes my boot block?

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
Hi,

I am running a dual boot system with Windows on sda1 and Fedora 8
Linux on sda3 since quite some time. I am using the standard MBR, Grub
is installed on the active partition, sda3.

Recently I noticed that my boot block was defect. There was a possible
reason why this could happen (upgrade of PGP WDE on Windows), so I
wasn't overly surprised. No problem, grab the rescue CD reinstalled
Grub and the system was up again. Windows and Linux were bootable
again.

Except that, after I worked the next time on Linux (meaning: the next
time I did more than simply booting up and shutting down) the same
thing happened again. Ok, reinstalled Grub, checked that Windows and
Linux are bootable again and so far so good.

But finally, after actually working with Linux again today, I found
myself confronted with a blank screen with the word GRUB in the upper
left corner again: Third time destroyed boot system in a row.

Any ideas what's happening?

With GRUB installed on sda3, the boot block code must load stage 1.5
from the filesystem.  If your "work" causes the needed *_stage1_5 file
(probably e2fs_stage1_5) to be moved to different physical sectors on
the disk, then you must reinstall GRUB.

                Do NOT delete it.