Re: Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora

Alan Peery wrote:
Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

  Does this work? Thanks!
In general, this works. I've had it fail one time with a laptop, but I concluded that this was because the laptop had a RAID hardware layer it was applying to the internal drive, and the USB cradle I'd hooked the new drive into wasn't doing the same thing.

The workaround would have been to put both drives in external USB cradles, but I didn't happen to have two cradles at the time to confirm that this did actually work.

Or, having done the copy, replace the internal drive then dd back.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait