Re: Re: Konqueror not installed, can't find it in repos (Rex Dieter)

Joseph Thames wrote:

> Thanks Rex, good to know. Unfortunaltely either requires a download of 250
> Meg. I have a Werewolf DVD and a 5-CD set. Is there a way to use them to
> install them? I live out in the sticks and only have Wild-Blue Satellite
> (not very) broadband.
>
> I'm very skeptical of trying the download with the above commands, because
> according to the synaptic package manager, I have a broken package that
> prevents installation of kdebase, and it can't fix.
>
> I was installing this distro from the DVD on a WD Passport backup drive of
> my Centrino laptop and I chose the "customize now" option instead of
> "customize later"  Actually, this installation went to apparent
> completion,
> but at the end, I got the following message: "An error occurred unmounting
> the disk. Please make sure you're not accessing /mnt/source from the shell
> and then click OK to retry". Of course I clicked OK ad nauseum, with the
> error message repeating each time. I finally had no choice but to reboot.
> Yet this aborted the final part of the installation which was to configure
> the GRUB dual boot with WinXP. So the installation on the WD Passport was
> useless (and maybe dangerous).

The kde files were not on the dvd unless you specifically downloaded the kde
version.  If they are you can use yum to install them from the installation
media.  There is a repository file in /etc/yum.repos.d for the installation
media that by default is active.  Examine the files in the Packages
subdirectories on the dvd or cd for the kde files.

Your install on the WD Passport is probably fine.  Grub can be fixed with
editing the /boot/grub/grub.conf file to boot WinXp.  There is a lot of fun
though with usb drives.  Assuming the laptop bios recognizes the drive it
gets switched in order depending on whether you are booting from the hard
drive, cd, etc.  Search the archives for lots of advice.  Again the
appropriate edit of grub.conf will get it to work.

Robert McBroom