Some key combinations cause reboot and kill monitor display

Hi,

I have noticed that sometimes my hand slips in typing an a key combination causes the system to immediately reboot. Yesterday, however, I inadvertently pressed a notebook binder on the keys, and it rebooted, like before, but this time when it booted back up, all that would display on the monitor was two lines of weird characters on the top of the screen. I first thought that I had blown the monitor. but this was not the case. I was able to use the rescue disk to tar up my recent work and ftp it to my web-hosting site.

I tried using my installation DVD to update my installation. But this didn't cure the problem. I suspect that I somehow corrupted some X11 code, and this is what is causing the display failure.

Does anyone know what might be causing this display behavior, and how I might cure it? I don't want to have to do a full re-installation if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

--
Joseph 'Bear' Thames
Meta Science Foundation