install exception raid1 grub

I just did a clean install that ended in an exception that had something
to do with grub. I was installing to two hard drives with software raid1
for /, /boot, and /home. /boot/grub.conf was not created, and the system
does not get to the grub menu when it boots. I'm able to boot and monkey
around using the rescue DVD.