Re: Syncing Palm device via USB Cable

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 02:09 -0500, pursley1@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
With the help of another person, we were able to deduce that the problem was because of Fedora, which by default, does not give access to the USB ports to users. There is no group to add to fix this problem and it took changing the global security permissions to allow everyone full access to the ports to get it to work. This really should be addressed on future versions of Fedora so I don't have to re-fix this problem every time the system updates the security. How do I recommend it?

Which ports are you talking about? If you mean /dev/ttyUSB0 etc., these
only come into existence when a USB device is connected. They are
configured by the udev subsystem. AFAIK, if you use libusb as I
suggested, you don't need to worry about this.

poc
Actually, I do use libusb and it *FINALLY* gave me an error telling me why it didn't make it accessible to users. The problem was it was configured to look for a group named "dialout", which Fedora never created and so was never used. Not sure why but I added the group and the problem seems to have resolved.

Bradley