Re: Help Revert From KDE4

> > So, it's considered a stable release, resides in updates and if
> > something decided that KDE4 is a dependency, it'll get dragged in.
> > So, if he installed Soprano or something that depends on it, he
> > would have gotten KDE4. Which may have not gotten all three packages installed if a mistake was made. Maybe when he tries to yum remove it, he'll spot what the cat drug in. I'd like to hear about that. I guess he might very well have a beef and chewing the carpet would be a understandable reaction!
> > It would be in my world, Ric

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/KDE4FAQ

"Will KDE4 be released for F7, F8?

Yes and no.

Yes, KDE4 Development Platform packages are available, which provide the
ability build and run KDE4 applications.

No, a full KDE4 Desktop is not available for previous releases, and will
included only in F9 and on."

So you don't have a KDE4 desktop in any way. And the kde4 packages you
have interfere in no way with your kde3.

-- Jose Celestino

Jose, I wish to repeat what King Juan Carlos said to Hugo Chavez: "Why don't you just shut up." You do NOT know what you are talking about. I did have KDE 4 and it replaced kde3.5. Since I had no console, I did not spend any time trying to see if I still had kde3.5 on the disk.

Moreover, I CAN tell the difference between a blue screen that says KDE 3.5 and a BLACK screen that says KDE 4. I can ALSO see the differences in the layout and structure of the desktop...especially the fact that my usual Desktop layout has completely disappeared. You know, missing icons, different image, no panel, different task menu about one tenth the size missing many programs....

Sorry Ric, I did not notice what it was that went wrong. That box got updated to Fedora 8 (from 6) about a week ago and I was still 'filling it up'. I was attempting to compile mplayer, and installing missing libraries as configure reported the absences. On one 'yum -y install' it went nuts and I suddenly had kde4. Although I didn't notice until I re-booted for other reasons. I got an incomplete system and every route I tried wanted to delete in excess of 30 packages...so I nuked it and started again...

And it is now clear that the fedora-updates.repo being enabled is the cause of the problem.
Geoff