Re: usb_serial howto?

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 23:48 +1300, Morgan Read wrote:
> Hello Folks
>
> I need usb_serial module loaded, but it doesn't seem to be available?
>
> [root@morgansmachine ~]# insmod usb_serial
> insmod: can't read 'usb_serial': No such file or directory
> [root@morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
> usb_storage            73601  0
> scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
> [root@morgansmachine ~]# rmmod usb_storage
> [root@morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
> [root@morgansmachine ~]# insmod usb_storage
> insmod: can't read 'usb_storage': No such file or directory
> [root@morgansmachine ~]#
>
> Hmm, so I can remove usb_storage but can't insert it again - perhaps the
> same is true for usb_serial?  What should I use to load usb_storage and
> usb_serial?  Am I missing something obvious?

Just plugging in the USB/Serial cable blows the heck outa X for me.
Everything freezes so hard I had to power down at the power supply. Not
good for starts. So, I got a USB cable for my cellphone and set it to
USB connection in the phone's setup. Try booting with it already plugged
in, that enabled the cable for me, at least. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar