Re: how to resize/grow an existing partition

Kevin Kempter wrote:
Hi List;

My laptop running Fedora 7 had a 100G SATA drive. I went out yesterday and purchased a 320G drive.

First I used dd to transfer my entire existing drive to the new drive, it worked perfectly - I'm typing this on my system via the new drive now.

Can someone give me some guidance per resizing my existing file systems to take advantage of the new space. If I run resize2fs straight away I get this:

# resize2fs -p /dev/sda5 25G
resize2fs 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
The containing partition (or device) is only 3711007 (4k) blocks.
You requested a new size of 6553600 blocks.

I suspect I need to do something with fdisk first?

Thanks in advance

IMHO, it's much easier to just use clonezilla to copy the partitions, then gparted to resize them.

There used to be a gparted-clonezilla boot CD, but the maintainer quit.. so it has slightly outdated versions (http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedclonz/) Another good boot CD (which can easily be put onto a USB thumbdrive) is clonezilla-sysresccd - it should have latest gparted and clonezilla. (http://clonezilla-sysresccd.hellug.gr/intro.html#download)

The cool thing about clonezilla is that it understands the layout of the partition and is able to copy data-only - so if you have 100G drive with 1G data, it will only copy 1G :) If that's not useful to you, you can use gparted itself to copy the partitions over.