Re: Burning CDs

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 17:42 +0000, Phil Bass wrote:
For the record, I managed to get xcdroast to work by manually
specifying the device names (/dev/scd0 for my CD ROM drive
and /dev/scd1 for my CD writer). Specifying the device in SCSI form
'dev=0,1,0' causes cdrecord to report:

WARNING: the deprecated pseudo SCSI syntax found as device
specification.
I'm curious whether you got the wrong device configuration from a fresh
install, or an upgrade install.  Generally, I've seen burning software
get the right devices if they're from a clean install and they've worked
out the device to use for themselves.  But an update install could
easily try to use a prior configuration, that's using the older scheme.
Sorry to take so long to reply to this.

I'm not sure what you mean by an upgrade install, but the here's what I think I did:

1. Installed Fedora 7 from scratch (or possibly upgraded from an earlier version). 2. Subsequently installed xcdroast. No problem; auto-detects CD-ROM and CD-writer, works fine. 3. Over many months periodically applied Fedora updates. I don't remember any xcdroast updates.

Having discovered that xcdroast no longer worked I then started looking for information about my problem. I found that a Fedora update stopped xcdroast working unless run as root. But running it as root didn't work; it just changed the device names in the list of devices. The fundamental problem was that xcdroast had detected my CD devices, but wasn't able to use them. Furthermore xcdroast locked up when told to scan for devices, so I was stuck.

The whole topic of device names is very confusing. At the time there seemed to be a choice of three naming conventions: SCSI, ATA and ATAPI, and I couldn't find definitive information on which of those to use. As it turns out the device names that work don't follow any of those. (It's nice to see proper Unix device names for a change, though. ;-) )

So AFAICS, I had a perfectly good configuration; it just stopped working!
I think burning software should only bother to ask you to pick the
burner if you've got more than one to choose from.  Otherwise, the
computer should find the optical drives, itself, and work out which
one's a burner from the drive's identification data.  It's the computer,
not you, let it do the computing work.
Yes, that would be nice.

--
Phil Bass (phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)