Re: licensing implications

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 06 March 2008, Don Russell wrote:
> IANAL...
>
> If a company has a commercial software product using some proprietary
> database, and they want to switch to using MySQL, does the GPL license
> allow them to continue to sell their product just as they did before, or
> does GPL then mean their entire product has to fall under GPL?

If it links with the MySQL client libraries, then the code so linked must be
GPL.

I'm not sure what's meant by "links with MySQL"... do you mean "link" as in combining object modules to create a single executable? That won't be the case. I envision a communication link, to a mySQL server, possibly (probably on the same physical machine as the "application". There would be o need to change mySQL, other than through any normal configuration parameters...

Or, you could use the BSD-licensed PostgreSQL instead and not have licensing
issues.

But I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

No worries... I'm just "testing the waters" to get a feel for what's what...

I appreciate the suggestion...