Re: Unable to connect using tftp other than over openvpn

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 12:30 PM, CSB <kjcsb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All the documentation I read when learning to set up tftp stated that
> it's an insecure protocol ill-suited to sharing stuff over public
> networks. It's best left for its intended purpose, sharing firmware,
> boot code and such over networks under one's own control.
>
> One of the risks is that, with a default installation[1], anyone who
> can
> read your data can change your data.
>
> If you control both ends of the VPN then that would seem to meet that
> guideline.
>
> If you want to persist with sharing over the public internet, then look
> at your firewall rules to see whether
> 1, There's a problem restricting your transfer
> 2. You have adequate controls over who can share your data.

Thanks for the reply.

This is for VOIP phone configuration. Some devices require tftp initially
before then being able to use http. We need the configuration available
publicly and it's not practical to have these devices connecting over VPN to
get their configuration.

Regarding the firewall we tested with flushed firewall rules and still got
the same problem.

Which VOIP phones are you using? This isn't a softphone is it?
The Grandstream i use here just needs the config server  option set to get its config info  from the server. Is fedora running on your server? I assume that is the case. Is SELinux perhaps blocking access? have you checked with SETroubleshoot? When you say flushed firewall rules, do you mean you turned off the firewall to check?

Max