Re: PCI BIOS bug

Lorenzo Ferrajoli wrote:
As I understood the problem was "fixed" by Fedora (I use FC8 on an ASUS MB) adding to the fc8-patched-kernel configuration the following entry:

CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG_OFF_BY_DEFAULT=y

so when you try to copy fc8 configuration file to a vanilla kernel .config (I tried a 2.6.23.1 vanilla kernel) this parameter is not recognized: you can make your new kernel, but, if you set ANY in PCI configuration, you'll have the message:

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.

I suppose that if you set DIRECT (as you can see in a previous message on this thread) you can get rid of that bios bug message. Moreover I read that updating the bios had not positive effect but I'm not yet sure of that.
Lorenzo

one assumes the fedora team know what they are doing with the kernel and all their fedora patches ... i wonder how many people actually have the right experience to be complaining about things they do to the builds of vanilla kernels