Re: Burning a kernel

ric moore brags:

ps. you are not BURNING a new kernel, you are COMPILING one.  but
call
it "rolling" and you might be ok

heheheh, back when I would install the latest and greatest on my 486
DX2/66, rolling did not have the eclat of the word "burning" as it took forever, made my head hurt and my eyes burn from watching it. But, back when, the speed up was noticeable when I did that.

wow, thanks for this piece of etymology, i thot you waz just ignorant. i do seem to remember watching text scRoll for hours, it seemed cool at the time and gave me some to eat noodles.

What's got me into a
kernel "compiling" mood is that playing a movie DVD and my system
talking to the serial port to my stinkin' modem ain't cutting it.
Damn, you would think an Athlon64-3200, running a 32bit OS with 2 gigs
of memory could handle it. It happens whether I use Xine, VLC or any
other player.

well ric i am running a P4 with 440 megs, downloading (thru a serial port), writing this in balsa, and ignoring "dodgeball" on xine plus a few other things and everything runs peachy with less than half the memory used and the CPU @ 30-70%. I almost always run root. I'd be pissed off if i couldn't customize the kernel, it may bear some responsibilities.