Re: Burning a kernel

Ric Moore wrote, On 03/04/2008 11:11 PM:
On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 12:06 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:

no ... the fedora kernel has lots of redhat specific patches, which often make their way into the vanilla kernels eventually. the config file will reference these patches which will not be recognised in a vanilla kernel.

Which is why I can't roll a kernel with what I have installed?? I can't
make mrproper on it, it belches on infiniband something or another. I
guess I have to dnload the src package. I also guess if I'm going to
have to do that, then I'll also WHACK all of the modules cruft out that
I recognize,

Note: at least for me, on kernels for FC4-6 vintage, if I try to take all modules out of the kernel and turn off modularity when using RedHat's patched kernel tree, the resulting configuration will either not compile or not boot. The same .config file used on the vanilla kernel tree included in the srpm will build and boot (too a running system). So you might configure out most modules if you want (I do for some small systems), but I suggest do not try to build from the srpm with a configuration that disables modules altogether. And IIRC there were some modules that for the hardware I was supporting, I did not need a module, but because of the way RH had made it's patches disabling the module would cause a kernel to fail to compile or boot. Sorry I was lazy about reporting them but at the time it was easier to either go vanilla or leave the module in, and now I don't remember which ones.

but if I use the existing .config file, it'll barf again?
The one that came with the srpm????? that would be strange.
<swears> I have the faint feeling my head is gonna hurt again. :) Ric

--
Todd Denniston