Re: Burning a kernel

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 00:03 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> Can one roll a kernel using the vanilla kernel rpm? I know you would
> need kernel-devel and possibly headers, but can it be done? I tried
> giving it a go, as the i686 kernel seems to be rolled with intel and I
> want to get all the gusto I can as I have an AMD-64 chip. Which, from
> what I'm seeming, is not checked off in the Fedora stock build.
>
> No, I'm not touching anything else as I'm plain afraid to do so. Got
> plenty of time for it to build 100 modules I'll never need. :) There
> used to be a HOW-TO at fedora.redhat.com, but damned if I can find it.
> Ric

Use the regular kernel SRPM.

Based on the discussion at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-December/msg01531.html and
inspecting the kernel.spec file, I did this by running

rpmbuild -bb --with vanilla kernel.spec

That appears to skip all but one patch to the vanilla kernel, as noted in the
comments.  (Also modified the spec file to add a local suffix to the RPM version
number.)

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs