Re: Fedora will not boot to GUI

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:02 AM, John  BORIS <jboris@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>  I have a SuperMicro SC832S-550 Chassis and I am having trouble getting
>  Fedora LINUX to boot into Graphical mode. My Mother board is a Biostar
>  K8M800 AM2  with an AMD Sempron Processor and the RAID controller is a
>  LSI Logic MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 attached to the Hot Swap backplane. There
>  are 5 75gb Hard drives in the array which is configured for RAID-5.
>
>  I loaded Fedora 8 64bit version and the system would panic after the
>  first boot sequence went through and rebooted. Subsequent reboots would
>  leave the system hang at the GUI startup.
>
>  I did a new install of the i386 version and got the same GUI hang
>  results. I then got the boot up to stop at GRUB and got the system to
>  boot to run level 3. The system worked fine, as I could login from a
>  remote workstation but when I tried to start the GUI , startx. The
>  system hung at the same screen again , the arrow with the swoosh around
>  it. The mouse would work but after a long while the system would panic.
>  I got it to go into run level 3 again and got to snoop in the log files
>  but didn't see anything that said failure, error .
>

>  Thinking that it is Fedora 8 I tried Fedora 6 (i386 version from Fedora
>  6 Bible DVD). The install went fine. The Graphical install screens came
>  up (just like it did in Fedora 8) it asked a bunch of questions, I
>  created a new user and then it said it had to reboot to handle the
>  changes I made during first boot. As it rebooted I got the normal start
>  up screens (as I have been getting all along) and then it went to start
>  the GUI and I was presented with the arrow and swoosh again with nothing
>  happening.
>

>  I am starting to think that the Biostar MB's onboard video chip is not
>  compatible with the setup. I have an email into SuperMicro for
>  recommending a compatible MB but I don't think I will get the answer I
>  want. I don't have any docks for the SCSI Array that came with the
>  Chassis. It is an SCA array and the drives are all Fujitsu 75gb.
>
>  Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>  TIA
>
>  John J. Boris, Sr.

You have not specified if the video is on-board or external. If you
are using the on-board video search for VIA drivers.  There are
OpenChrome drivers for F8. They're not install by default. You'll need
to use yum to install them. A discussion on the driver can be found
here:  http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/100370/
If that does not match your situation you should be able to fall back
to VESA. Use system-config-display from the CLI.