Re: "Failed to initialize OpenGL" in Fedora 8, used to work in Fedora 7

> I have just installed Fedora 8 to replace my Fedora 7 installation.
>
> Most things have gone very smoothly including VMWare but when I start
> VMWare Workstation I now get a pop-up error box saying "Failed to
> initialize OpenGL".  I didn't get this when I ran VMWare on Fedora 7.
>
> I have an NVidia GeForce 7300 GS display and have installed the latest
> NVidia drivers for Linux (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.12-pkg2.run).
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas how to fix it?

Are you using the same xorg config that you used in FC7?  You need to make
sure the modules block are removed from the xorg config.  If not, the only
thing that gets loaded is the opengl modules and nothing else.  (If the
modules section is missing, it loads everything.)

Also, if you updated Mesa or other opengl libraries since you installed
the nVIDIA drivers you will want to reinstall them.  Make sure you install
the 32 bit OpenGL libraries as well.  (VMWare might be trying to use the
32bit libraries here so you might want to do it to make sure.)