Re: Verizon EVDO 5750 Broadband Card

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 01:09:09PM -0500, max bianco wrote:
>    I originally started this under the Archive Search thread but i wanted to
>    put in an appropriate subject line.
>    I was having trouble getting the Verizon EVDO 5750 Broadband Card to work.
>    There are several how to's out there but some are, of course, different
>    from others. The one that set me sailing was :
>
>    [1]http://www.linux.com/feature/52729

This is no longer the recommended procedure.  You really want to not
use usbserial driver, but instead the sierra driver (in your case, or
option driver for GSM cards), to get 3G performance out of your card.

NetworkManager 0.7.0 (in rawhide), plus latest hal and hal-info
packages, should "just work".  You get an entry for your CDMA modem in
the NetworkManager applet. Select that, and it auto-connects and
you're good to go.   If you find it doesn't "just work", let the hal
developers know.

I just added a Dell / Verizon modem to the hal list last week, so it
now "just works" too.

Thanks,
Matt

What do you mean by 3G performance? I thought 3G was wireless network standard. Do you mean it would be faster or more reliable?or both?

Thanks,

Max