Re: Yum packages (again)

Les Mikesell wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

With you. Once you have used a non-fedora repository you have assumed responsibility for determining compatibility and resolving all conflicts. Once you start using more than one you you have assumed responsibility for those conflicts as well. The fault is yours.

The solution is to put both repositories in as disables in the config, then use --enablerepo on one or the other. I don't suggest mixing them, I'm still trying to sort a problem I caused myself using only livna, something used by pine isn't right and I can't find out what to get it out and clean it up. Fortunately it's not critical on that system.

I understand your problem, but you should understand it's YOUR problem, you caused it, the responsibility lies with you. And for my broken machine, with me.

You are blaming the victim here for something that should be preventable. Repositories don't _have_ to conflict with each other.

You are damn right I am blaming the victim. If I had a Dodge (Fedora) truck, and I enhanced it with some parts from Ford (livna), and then went and got some other parts from Chevy (freshrpms), who's fault is it if they don't work right together?

Repositories are independent operations with conflicting goals and in some cases legal issues. There is no way anyone at Fedora can force these 3rd parties to cooperate, and for legal reasons they probably shouldn't.

"Da Rock" claimed "Yum would very well be easy to fix and resolve some of the major issues here." Please submit patches, or a detailed desing showing how yum can tell which identically named parts from different sources will work together. The proposed "simple solution" just flat out doesn't work, there are basic packages which are not necessarily in the package group. We await your solution, and don't add anything new to RPM headers which would break all current RPMs.

This is not a Fedora problem, or even a Linux problem, anyone who has added 3rd party software from two sources to their Microsoft O/S has probably seen problems as well, at least if they use the same devices or resources. It's the nature of the system, and at least Linux site are far more likely to help than blame the other site.

Until "Da Rock" solves the problem for us it's something the administrator needs to control, regardless of the O/S in use.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>