Re: [F8 i386] Drive mount locations change at startup.

Robin Laing wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Scott wrote:
I've got 4 internal and two external hard drives.

Every time I boot and log in I find at least one of my internal drives mounts in a different directory than it had previously (the others may as well, but I've not yet noticed - read on).

It's never the same directory (it's either "/media/disk" "/media/disk-1", or "/media/disk-2" or "/media/disk-3").

I've got a symlink from a directory in ~/ to a subdirectory on one of my internal drives and it breaks with every boot.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;)

How might I get my drives to mount in the same place every time?

Use the UUID in /etc/fstab instead of whatever you are using now. Some people may use the filesystem label, but I'm always afraid that when or if I move the f/s to a larger device the name will not change, and if I plug in the old device it will mount. Using UUID will keep you from that particular problem.

If you put a label on your drive it will mount under the label.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. If you put a "LABEL=" line in your /etc/fstab file it will mount where you tell it to. But if you move an external filesystem from a small drive to a larger drive and keep the same name for the filesystem so it will mount where you want it, then accidentally plug in the old drive instead, you could have a problem. By specifying the "UUID=" in /etc/fstab you avoid that learning experience.

If you name your drive Scott_1, it will be mounted as /media/Scott_1
not disk-x. I do this with all my sticks and cards to identify them easier. It is nice at work as we all have the same brand/model/type of stick. I can plug mine in and my name shows up.

Name your filesystem, not drive, but your meaning is clear. Just be sure someone else with the same filesystem name doesn't visit. Seriously.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>