Re: F8 drivers for ASUS EeePC?? -- SOLVED

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:46:24 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> 	The upgrade finished; pirut tried to launch -- and failed to
> connect. Service network restart gets as far as trying to bring up eth0,
> then reports failure : "3c501 device eth0 does not seem to be present,
> delaying initialization."
>
> 	Is that still the driver problem, or ...?

	A consensus elsewhere said it was. Then, after only about three
days of pounding my electronic head against the wall, I finally thought
of the obvious -- not bad for a man pushing seventy in dubious
health!

        I pointed a PC at rpm.pbone; searched F8 for
kernel-2.6.15; downloaded one; copied it to a thumb drive;
copied it from there to the EeePC; and ran rpm -Uvh against
it.

        That actually worked. Not immediately, nor after
running kudzu; so I rebooted -- and sure enough, then it
did.Pirut connected; I'm in process of paring F8 down to
EeePC size as we speak; and I've already installed my
favorite add-on defenses to Firefox.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Evangelist
Fedora 8; Ubuntu 7.10; CentOS 5.1; Alpine 1.0, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6