x86_64 desktop system questions

Hey all,

Ok, am new to using the 64bit systems and this is my first one.  I
finally got my dual boot all setup and Fedora 8 initially installed with
updates applied as of this morning.  So far basically no problems, and
running fine AFAICT.  But some issues, comments, or questions I have to
help better understand how to run my system.

1 - Noticed i386 packages (some, not all) installed along with the 64
bit ones.  Is there an rpm/yum command to list the i386, and possibly
then remove the ones I def don't need that the system will allow?  Are
there some of these that I *have* to have, depending on what I use the
program for?  I have seperate test/updates/rawhide dir's that I mirror,
and notice in the 64 bit ones, that there are i386 packages, as I guess
those are needed depended on if i386 is what is needed to go along with
the 64 bit ones?

2 - This may be part of my question to 1 above, but are firefox and
evolution i386 packages needed?  I installed the flash-plugin but think
I have seen talk bout only for i386 and that is why firefox-i386 is
needed?

3 - My system is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ (2.0G cpu
speed each one I think).  What kernel does this need to be using for
best results?

4 - I only use the system for home use, email, internet, occasional
packaging (not much, just edit or repackage), that type thing.  Do I
*really* have to worry bout using 64 bit installs , or can i386 work
just fine and not have to worry about separate dir's and packages
mixing?  Will my system/kernel still run just as fast or whatever with
i386 or is it even running that much (if at all) faster now with 64 bit?

Hope this isn't too many questions, just trying to understand what my
system is capable of doing.  Thanks for your time.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"