Re: kernel update warning

Valent Turkovic wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Mark LaPierre <marklapier@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Valent Turkovic wrote:
 > Hi,
 > I just saw that opensuse 10.3 has an warning when there is a kernel update.
 > Look how they handle this:
 > http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/new-kernel.png
 >
 > What do you think would this also be nice if Fedora had something like
 > this or not?
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Valent.

 Hey Valent,

 Fedora does notify you that a reboot is required if you update the
 kernal.  When the updater is done running it asks if you  want to reboot
 [NOW] or [LATER].  It's not a pretty splash screen, it just works.

You missed the point. Opensuse warns you BEFORE installing the kernel
and asks you if you want to update the kernel. Fedora just does it and
tells you that you should reboot as soon as possible.
Do you see the difference?

Valent
.

Hey Valent,

FC8 warns you that a reboot will be required if you check the package details before you launch the install. The packages that will require a reboot are marked with what looks like a little recycle icon. Not a pretty splash screen, it just works.