Re: Open-ended comment about F8 and above hardware issues

Michael W Cocke wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:57:09 -0600, you wrote:

Michael W Cocke wrote:
Just a passing comment - hopefully it will start a discussion and I'll
learn something.  I have a pair of seriously hacked P4 systems (3 IDE
controllers including the motherboard, all IDE controllers fully
populated, 2 NICs, 3.6+ TB, 2 GB of ram).  I can install Fedora 7 on
them and it works pretty well 'out of the box'.  Try to go to any
higher version and the installer dies, or data is corrupted as it's
written, or any number of other bad things.
What did they change that makes such a huge difference?  I know the
hardware is weird and I'd understand if Fedora never worked, but it
worked great - up to F8.

They changed the IDE drivers that are being used, and are treating all the drives as SCSI drives when you get above the hardware specific drivers.

Mikkel

I knew about everything being handled as SCSI, but I didn't make the
connection that it was using completely different IDE drivers.(Duh!)
Apparently the new drivers are much less robust.

Actually I don't believe that's the case, but they may well be better at identifying problems older drivers missed. Having just installed FC8-Unity on a similar system, 5xPATA disk, one PATA CD, four channels on the motherboard and two on a Promise card, I feel fairly secure in saying that your system has some issue.

I suggest booting the "rescue CD" and then looking very carefully at the dmesg output regarding your devices. One area which has been changed is 80 pin cable detection handling, but the output should tell more.

Hint: posting the output here would be likely to enrich the discussion.

Is there a way to revert back to the older drivers?

I believe there's a kernel boot parameter, but I can't remember what it is. Try "combined_mode=ide" or "combined_mode=libata" and see if that changes you problem. Using the ide option chould change names back to hda, etc, IIRC.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>