Re: FC8 and NFS service

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Mike Iglesias wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Exactly, but even with secure NFS off I still get stuff like:
Feb 21 21:50:33 posidon mountd[26030]: refused mount request from 192.168.2.17 for /common (/common
): illegal port 60080

Look at "man exports". You need to use the "insecure" option on the export entry to get it to accept any port instead of "secure" ports (<1024).

I'll set it up tomorrow, but I see no difference between the "insecure" option for one export and the disabling of securenfs which I have in the sysconfig file. I also note that some of the working clients are using port 32770, which is above both 1024 and 32768...

I can try it, but secure NFS should just flat be gone.

And using the "insecure" export solves the problem. The securenfs option in the /etc/sysconfig/nfs file seems to apply to Kerberos security levels, as documented in "man 5 nfs" under "sec="

So something like:

/common 192.168.2.17(rw,insecure)

would allow 192.168.2.17 to mount /common read/write from an insecure port.

If you're not using an /etc/exports, something like

exportfs -o rw,insecure 192.168.2.17:/common

should work.

So I'm down to one issue (so far), which is re-exporting an SMB mounted filesystem as NFS. I currently use an FC1 machine to do that, as recent releases don't include smbfs and the server won't talk using cifs.

My thought on that is to export a directory using samba and see if I can get the old machine to write in that. The SMB is on a "Windows95RT" device controller, some real time hack of Win95, and can't be upgraded.

Thanks for the thought, I'll let you know.

Double thanks, at least for the first server the problem is solved!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>