Re: ssh without password?

> Cameron Simpson wrote:
>
>> | When I ssh into machine B from machine A, I am asked for my password.
>> | But when I ssh into A from B, I am not.
>> |
>> | In both cases, id_rsa.pub from the other machine
>> | has been added to authorized_keys .
>> | And I see no difference in sshd_config or ssh_config .
>> |
>> | So why am I asked for my password when ssh-ing into B?
>>
>> Examine /var/log/secure on machine B. It should shed some light on
>> things. Also do your ssh with the -v option - you should see which
>> authentication methods are being attempted. If your key is not being
>> used, that will be apparent then. If it is being used but rejected, that
>> will be apparent and the /var/log/secure file on machine B should say
>> why. I presume you're using an ssh-agent?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> On looking at /var/log/secure on machine B I read:
> -----------------------------
> Feb 23 12:47:19 blanche sshd[18050]: Authentication refused: bad ownership
> or modes for file /home/tim/.ssh/authorized_keys
> Feb 23 12:47:22 blanche sshd[18050]: Accepted password for tim from
> 192.168.2.1 port 41431 ssh2
> -----------------------------
>
> When I looked at .ssh/authorized_keys I saw that it had mode 664
> (ie with group write permission).
> After changing this to mode 644, I am able to login without password.

Usually, permissions of 600 or 700 will do...644 makes the file world
readable, and that's not necessarily a good thing...however, it looks like
you're back where you need to be.

Out of curiosity, what were the permissions on the file before you ran th
chmod command?

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org