Re: Advice for Red Hat/Fedora

Henning Larsen wrote:
On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 09:55 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 17:33 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
max wrote:

How much and what kind of impact does running a KDE app in Gnome actually have?
You end up loading essentially duplicate libraries into ram for functionality that should be in a shared library, so you take the hit of extra disk space, extra time to load, and extra RAM use for everything that doesn't use a common toolkit.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikeell@xxxxxxxxx

I'll pipe up here and note that shouldn't there be a common toolkit
across the board then? Make all apps use them same general toolkit and
one that defines say look and feel?

Then again that may mean that Gnome and Kde lose what they are... Seems
a bit of a conundrum to me.

Is it important how windows are displayed, or what they can do and how
they do it? I wonder why KDE and Gnome use the same graphics system but
differs in sound. I dont want the os to be like a wc with built in radio
and a toast machine.

still i love linux

I think they sell those (wc w/radio and toast) in Japan. Or did I see that on Monty Python?

Remember the development history of KDE and Gnome - KDE C++ vs Gnome C, now Gnome seems to be heading for C# and Mono (isn't that a disease?). All accompanied by many pissing contests.

Competition, is sometimes not so great. I think I'd prefer cooperation in this area.

Have a great weekend!

John