Re: Advice for Red Hat/Fedora

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 17:47 -0500, max wrote:
> How much and what kind of impact does running a KDE app in Gnome
> actually have?

Well, you've got to install the files if you don't already have them.
Sometimes it's only a few, but it can be quite a lot that are needed.
On this Gnome-only system, these are the only obvious KDE files
installed on it:

  kde-filesystem-4-6.fc7     download size       17,591 bytes
                             installed size       1,193 bytes

  kdelibs-3.5.8-19.fc7       download size   18,079,483 bytes
                             installed size  46,480,144 bytes

  kde-settings-3.5-30.fc7.1  download            14,462 bytes
                             installed size      10,465 bytes

That's still quite a fair bit to add on.  And on previous Gnome-only
systems, I've installed one or two things that depended on KDE, and they
dragged in an awful lot more.  Which was really painful on a dial-up
internet service.

If you do already have them installed, there's still some added slowness
as KDE files plus your application are loaded.  That's really noticeable
on low spec systems.  Faster PCs mightn't see it as being anything
slower than the first time you fire up something like Firefox.

You can have problems if a KDE app wants to use the KDE sound system,
and it doesn't want to play ball with Gnome.

Then there's the fact that it looks odd, in comparison, and can behave
differently.

I'm sure that there's a similar set of annoyances going in the reverse
direction.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.