Re: truecrypt and kb3

Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
> 1) Do I need a CD burner application that is truecrypt-aware ? I have
> been using k3b ( the CD / DVD burner app for KDE ) for quite a few
> years now.

I'm not familiar with Truecrypt so take this with some salt and
consider it "for what it's worth."  But I would think that you could
create a volume on your disk, copy files into it, then burn that to a
CD using any burning software you wanted.  You may need to copy the
volume from the cd to your disk to open and extract files from it,
depending on how Truecrypt works.

> 2) Also, there does not seem to be an available RPM for truecrypt.
> Best thing that I can find is this:
> http://tredosoft.com/truecrypt_fedora_7 and install from source. Why
> is it not in any main repo ( fedora, livna, or freshrpms ) ... is it
> for legal reasons ?

It's not included because it requires a kernel module for one.  Unless
that kernel module gets in the upstream kernel, truecrypt won't be in
Fedora[1].

I think the license may also be problematic, as it does not allow for
distributing modified versions.  Well, it does, but only if you fork
it and call it something else.  (This is similar to what Debian did for
Firefox, which that call by another name.)

Whether anyone wants to do so and try and get a truecrypt fork into
Livna I don't know.  I'd rather just use LUKS volumes.  If I needed
Windows compatibility, I'd look at FreeOTFE[2].

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-security-list/2007-December/msg00015.html
[2] http://www.freeotfe.org/

Our chief defect is that we are more given to talking about things
than to doing them.
    -- Jawaharlal Nehru, Indian statesman (1889-1964)