Re: Advice for Red Hat/Fedora

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings folks;

As a staunch believer in Open Source in the form of linux, I've always wondered just where M$ would attack linux, and it appears they have found an ally and a willing vehicle in Novel, who I am told now owns gnome. I'll let the data in this link speak for itself.

<http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/15/mono-contamination-in-ubuntu/>

Might I recommend http://groklaw.net where these issues have been researched as closely as humanly possible.

MS is a real threat to the FOSS community, make no mistake. However, most of their FUD campaigns fail under scrutiny.

The single biggest threat to FOSS are software patents. It is unknowable who will pull the trigger first. It might well be MS, but it could be IBM or any number of patent trolls.

If you want to really stretch the ability of your tinfoil hat, just consider:

1. IBM has the largest patent portfolio in the world.
2. MS has submited as many as 3,000 patent applications a year for the last several years. 3. IBM has sold off all corporate assets that had contractual obligations to MS.

Can you even imagine what would happen if IBM and MS were to declare open war over software patents?

We live in interesting times, to be sure. But you can't stop the signal. People will continue to code because they can and its fun and rewarding.