Re: command line sms tool

Andrew Kelly wrote:
On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 14:34 +0100, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
El Miércoles, 20 de Febrero de 2008 14:29, Andrew Kelly escribió:
Hi y'all,

can any of you recommend a command-line tool for sending an SMS to a
cell phone? Half an hour of googl'ing has brought me only outdated,
half-finished or modem dependant stuff of little or no value.

I've used gnokii to send sms by using a cell phone plugged in a serial port.
Try it.

Manuel.

Hi Manuel, thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, it's not something that
I'll be able to use. This is something I'll be running on remote
machines, that most certainly don't have a cell attached to them. In a nutshell, the problem is this: My boss is too cheap to provide a
pager server, and my cell phone service provider cannot offer me the
possibility of accepting e-mail on my cell. Basically, all I want to do
is be notified on my cell by any of my servers, should certain
conditions arise. Since I can't send an e-mail to my phone, I'd like to
send and SMS. And I need to be able to script the action, ergo
command-line.

However, since most Telcos make their money on SMS the sending party pays. So, unless your cell phone company has an email gateway to SMS or you can use a pay as you go service there is no simply way. You got to pay to play.

--
A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
		-- William S. Burroughs