Re: Jigdo instructions, please

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>>> As the OP, I read the instructions above.
>>> I couldn't apply them directly, as I don't have a Fedora DVD -
>>> I have the ISO in an NFS-mounted directory,
>>> and it wasn't entirely clear to me if one could substitute
>>> a hard disk ISO for the CD.
>> Yes, it is.  They want you to mount the DVD.  You already have it
>> mounted via NFS.  If its just the ISO, mount it with a loop option.
>> If its the DVD directory, just point jigdo at it.
>>
>>> If this is possible, maybe it is worth adding
>>> a brief explanation to the instructions.
>> This is not necessary if you understand what an ISO is.
>
> I do know what an ISO is.
>
>> An ISO is an image of a filesystem.
>
> Sort of.
>
>> When you mount it, you can see what is inside
>> that filesystem (files and directories).  It the ISO (either a file or a
>> real DVD) is mounted on a remote system, then you only need to point
>> jigdo at the mount point.  If the ISO is made available via NFS, then
>> mount it locally on your system.  Something like:
>>
>> mount -t iso9660 -o "loop,ro" /mnt/ISO /path/to/dir/with/iso/ISOfilename
>>
>> this assumes you created the local mount point  /mnt/ISO to mount it on.
>
> I have heard of "mount -o loop".
> But the instructions say one should insert a DVD,
> which I take to mean that one should insert a DVD.

They ask you to insert a DVD so that its filesystem can be mounted and
you can access the files on that DVD.

> This is not always - or even usually - equivalent to "mount -o loop".

huh?  Its almost always the same.  Unless you are using the DVD for
something non-standard.  (years ago I used to write .tar files directly
to floppy media.  I suppose you could arrange to use a DVD in the same
fashion, but most people don't.)  Most DVDs contain ISO (or UDP)
filesystems (which for the sake of this argument are equivalent).

> The jigdo documentation is not very good,
> which is not surprising if the people writing it share your approach.

I had no trouble using it.  It is surprisingly simple.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx