Re: Webcam, dev/video ?

2008/2/18, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I have a Logitech so-called "Webcam" that works with Windows XP but has
> never worked with any Fedora version I've tried.  Apparently it requires
> a driver gspcav and an application "v4l" both of which I have installed
> via yumex on an F-8 system.
>
> The problem always seems to be that there is no /dev/video0 when tried
> with programs like camE, vlc, and ekiga.
>
> lsusb shows it as:
> Bus 002 Device oo2: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express
>
> I don't really need the camera but I have it and would like to make it
> work.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

is the module loaded?  If so, what does it log to /var/log/messages when
it loads?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx

2008/2/17, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx>:
- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -
Antonio M wrote:
> I have this old webcam and I tried to make it work.
>
> So I installed:
> akmod-qc-usb
> kmod-qc-usb
> qc-usb
> kmod-qc-usb-2.xxxx.xxxx (i Think that it is created...)
>
> When I fire up the computer I get :
>
> Checking if all kmods for kernel xxxxxx exists (Failed)
> and then ignoring of inserting qc-usb-kmod in kernel.
>
> Am I missing something in akmod, kmod, management???

If the akmod build fails the first time it gets ignored afterward for that
kernel, I'm not sure how long or if it is ever tried again by default.  You can
build it yourself with akmodbuild, then install the rpm created, and that should
allow it to load when akmodsd starts up (the kernel module will be found).

You can look into /var/cache/akmodsd/ for the log file and where the built rpms
are stored.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net
----                                                                       ----

Have a look at the message that I e-mailed yesterday to the rawhide list:
QUOTE

I am confused . I get errors at boot-time but

In Dmesg I find....

Linux video capture interface: v2.00
quickcam: QuickCam USB camera found (driver version QuickCam USB 0.6.6 $Date: 2006/11/04 08:38:14 $)
quickcam: Kernel:2.6.25-0.40.rc1.git2.fc9 bus:4 class:FF subclass:FF vendor:046D product:0840
quickcam: Sensor PB-0100/0101 detected
quickcam: Registered device: /dev/video0
usbcore: registered new interface driver quickcam

in lsmod:

quickcam               68780  0

in lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:0840 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

So webcam should work as /dev/video0.
When I fire Skype in the video option I have no choice for any webcam.
END OF QUOTE

Anyone can comment it???

Tnx
--