Re: A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 21:25 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 18 February 2008 20:28, Mark C. Allman wrote:

> > > <Snip>

> > > Hi Mark. I had a reply back from the guy on the alsa-devel list, that has
> > > the same machine as you. He's using Suse, not F8, but had no problems
> > > getting sound working. See below for his reply.
> > >
> > > <quote>
> > > I'm not aware of any initial problem I might have had. However I
> > > regularly install drivers from the hg tree so I'm not too sure about
> > > actual versions.
> > >
> > > However at the time I posted about my subwoofer problem I did have sound
> > > and wasn't even aware there might be problems (apart from the sound being
> > > somewhat "slim", i.e. missing deep frequencies). On the other hand I
> > > usually use headphones and thus don't recognize that.
> > >
> > > Anyway, after applying the patches you refer to above also my building
> > > subwoofer works as adverticed and I do have another slider when invoking
> > > alsamixer. So I'd say with alsa 1.0.1[456] it should work.
> > >
> > > So to sum it up:
> > > I have no problems with sound on my XPS M1710 whatsoever.
> > >
> > > Feel free to ask more questions and/or compare configurations.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Michael
> > > <end quote>
> > >
> > > I'm still concerned about pulseaudio, and I'm not trying to start an
> > > argument. The fact that that alsamixer is not available appears to
> > > indicate that pulseaudio is still involved in some way or other. You have
> > > said that you only have pulseaudio-libs installed, but the package that
> > > disables pulseaudio is named "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio". Could you please
> > > verify that the package named "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio"  is not
> > > installed. We're just trying to help here, and to get your sound working.
> > >
> > > As I've said before, running, rpm -q alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, will show
> > > if the package is installed, or Yumex will will also show if it's
> > > installed, or if you use apt, and synaptic, synaptic will show if the
> > > package is installed.
> > >
> > > Sorry. I'm not trying to wind you up, but just trying to find out if
> > > pulseaudio is enabled. It's causing a lot of problems for some folks, and
> > > disabling it just gets the sounds back.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > [mcallman@prez tmp]$ rpm -q -a | grep ulse
> > pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
> >
> > [mcallman@prez tmp]$ rpm -q -a | grep audio
> > gnome-audio-2.0.0-4
> > portaudio-19-3.fc8
> > audiofile-devel-0.2.6-7.fc8
> > jack-audio-connection-kit-0.103.0-5.fc8
> > pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
> > audiofile-0.2.6-7.fc8
> >
> > [mcallman@prez tmp]$ cat /etc/asound.conf
> > pcm.!default {
> >     type hw
> >     card 0
> > }
> >
> > ctl.!default {
> >     type hw
> >     card 0
> > }
> >
> > pcm.Intel {
> [...]
If you look above at the results from "rpm -q -a | grep audio" you'll
get your answer.  As you can see, it isn't.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution