Postfix/Dovecot SASL localhost login

I have Postfix 2.4.5 and Dovecot 1.0.5 running well on my server.
mutt (and SquirrelMail) request a password when logging in.  They're
set for SASL authentication.  I want to be able to open up my mail
folders from mutt without a password when logging in from the
localhost (where one presumes the authentication has already taken
place).

I've searched through all the relevant documentation, but can't seem
to get my configuration set up for passwordless authentication from a
localhost login (an SSH session, for example).  Can anyone help me
with this?  I can post the output of postconf -n if it would help.

TIA,

	JL

--
Jorge <lists@xxxxxxxx>