Re: Low level formatting - [was Re: slow (s-l-o-w) install (TRY)]

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:54:52 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Low level what? If you mean low-level formatting, I don't think that's been
possible to do with hard drives since the days of RLL and MFM.

Correct (well the very earliest days of IDE), and it wouldn't affect
performance anyway.

I can remember people killing the early IDE drives by low-level formatting. The tools for low-level formatting MFM/RLL drives would mess up the IDE drives. With later drives, they would ignore the low-level formatting attempts.

Themain reason for low-level formatting MFM/RLL drives was moving them to a new controller, or changing the interleave - nether are applicable to modern IDE/ATA drives. (It was easier to low-level format then to tweak the controller data clock to match the old controller.)

The main reason indeed, by going to a different interleave matched to your usage you could get a big jump in performance (or make it dog slow). And by playing with large sector sizes you could get a large jump in capacity. Just as a 3-1/2 floppy can jump from 1440k to 1920k with large sectors, some hard drives could get a similar boost in capacity, up to 40%.

I wouldn't try that today with zoned formatting, more CPU in the on-disk controller, etc, etc. Actually, I would send the LL format command to the drive if I know what it was, if the controller does it, it would probably work as well as it did at the factory.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>