Re: truetype fonts in tetex, pdftex, pdflatex

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 11:40 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> François Patte wrote:
> >
> > Le 16.02.2008 18:25, Ian Malone a écrit :
> > | Hi,
> > |
> > | I know a few people here use LaTeX, does anyone know
> > | an easy way of getting truetype fonts working with LaTex
> > | in Fedora?  I've found several guides online but they
> > | require packages like ttf2tfm and ttf2pt1 which are either
> > | no longer available for Fedora or never were.
> > |

> > What you want is xe(la)tex which is available in TeXLive.
> >
> > Up release 8 fedora TeX packages were tetex which died a few years ago.
> > I have seen thet TeXLive will replace tetex in fedora 9.
> >
> > fedora 9 alpha was published a few weeks ago, you could try if TeXLive
> > from this release can be installed under fedora 8. I will try it soon,
> > but I have to check a lot of things before, because I am too much
> > "TeX-dependant".
> >

> Thanks for that, it looks like I'll need to be a bit patient then.
> (It appears ttf2afm is in tetex-afm, but there's little detail on
> generating the maps.)

I have the development repo TeXLive installed in F8 and it seems to work
well so far (though I haven't stressed it heavily yet).

I started with the F8 texlive repo at

        [texlive]
        name=TeXLive 2007 for Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
        baseurl=http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/files/texlive/$basearch
        enabled=0
        gpgcheck=0

I believe yum install texlive will obsolete all the core tetex packages.

Then remove that repo and  update from the development repo.  (The F8
repo isn't being updated.)

One dependency bug causes the latest tetex-dvi to obsolete its
replacement xdvik in Rawhide.  You can either let that go or ignore
tetex-dvi in your regular updates.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs