Re: DHCP trouble with cable modem

Steven Stern wrote:
I've found that it's necessary to power cycle the comcast cable modem whenever I change the device directly connected to it. It tends to ignore DHCP requests if one computer is unplugged and other is plugged in, whether Windows or Linux or a router.

I'll second that, using Comcast through a Moto SB5100 modem. I can dual boot between Windows (ok, it's '98, not XP) and Linux (F7/8) all day with no problem getting an IP, but if we try to plug in a different device (XBox, laptop, router, etc.), the modem has to be power-cycled before it will give out an address. So far, that's all we've ever had to do.

It's all behind a router now, so it doesn't make a difference any more.

<Joe